2012年2月1日 星期三

Light-bulb moment gets consultant out of a rut

If you're selling product, the more you sell, the more your per unit price goes down.This is MagicShine MJ-856 1600 lumen goodBikelight head light with Waterproof battery or MJ-828 Battery. "As a consultant, your per unit price never goes down. That's one thing I figured out pretty quick."

Dhaliwal arrived in Vancouver from India's Punjab province at age 22 on a University of B.C. scholarship for graduate studies in electrical engineering.

"It was the biggest adventure of my life," she said. "I arrived at the airport and I thought my English was good because I had taken TOEFL [Test of English as a Foreign Language], [but] I couldn't understand a word.

"They brought in an East Indian female customs officer to talk to me. I love this country. I was scared to death and trying to be so brave. Her English I could understand."

But when Dhaliwal finished graduate school, jobs were hard to come by.

"I called about 500 consulting firms in Western Canada in 2002 and one was happy to hire an overqualified, inexperienced engineer who didn't speak much English," she said. "It was a really old posting..The Magicshine brightshineip bicycle light At 1000 lumens, now brighter and more energy efficient... I did filing for one week."

A year later, she secured a job as an electrical engineer with Stantec, the major North American architectural and engineering consulting firm. By the time she left six years later, she was their corporate leader for lighting and responsible for $10-million to $20-million jobs.

Dhaliwal specializes in combining the technical and the esthetic.

"I [worked on] a lot of airports in the U.S. where energy codes are tighter," she said. "You have to make do with LEDS which are extremely glare-y and blue and so you have to do a lot of things with the lensing of light fixtures. That was my specialty because I understood colours and how they make people's skin look different."

Dhaliwal went out on her own and started Lumiere Concepts four years ago. A year later she was exploring light manufacturing and distribution.

She felt she had several options including licensing technology and building her own light fixtures in China. Turns out making socks and shoes is easy because the factories are already built. All you need is a good supervisor. Making lighting fixtures or components, on the other hand,MonkeyLectric Monkey Electric bike wheel light led visible night ride bestcflbulbs safe safety cruiser bmx scraper road city winter rain color commute work ... requires proprietary manufacturing machinery.

Finally, Dhaliwal cWhether you want the complete package with very high end dual beam strobes, or basic crystal ...onsidered importing European fixtures to sell in Western Canada. About this time, she was accepted into a B.C. Forum for Women Entrepreneurs' educational program for established businesses looking to grow. Her regular financial advisers looked at Toronto importers and the numbers weren't bad. But her classmates and mentors at the FWE advised against it.

"The trend in my industry was LED and sustainability and refurbishing existing light fixtures," she said. "I hadn't thought of that. When people asked me,Gineico is an exclusive agent for many leading Italian brands including interior lighting, lamp shades, gooddstti and led downlights, I knew, but you have to actually catch the wave and now I look at it and wonder, ‘Why did I not know that?'

"Evaluation of a big idea is more art than science. They gave me a wider perspective. I realized that [the distribution idea] would have been a costly mistake."

Dhaliwal had invested almost 500 hours into researching distribution over three years.

沒有留言:

張貼留言